The English Kitchen: Grandmother & # 39; s Buttermilk Cake - Delicious Recipes

Hot

Post Top Ad

Wednesday 10 April 2019

The English Kitchen: Grandmother & # 39; s Buttermilk Cake

Do you first want the good news or the bad news. Okay, I'll give you the bad news. My heater is broken. It is a combined electric gas and until I can afford to have it repaired, nothing comes out. The gas burners have an electrical ignition and the oven is fully electric. I baked this cake and then Kaput !!! That's the good news. . . at least this cake was done baking! Every silver lining and such!

Normally I would have waited a whole row of recipes to post, so you may not even have noticed. Unfortunately this is not the case with recent events, so this cake is almost until further notice.

Maybe this is the way the universe tells me to slow down. . . and maybe that's not a bad thing.

This is really a beautiful cake. It's pretty basic, but it's juicy and delicious. . .

It is the kind of cake that you would have cut nan and sat before you when you went around to visit. My maternal grandmother died when I was five years old. That must have been so difficult for my mother. . . she would have been around 28 years old. When I think about it, I am so blessed that I have kept my mother around as long as I have.

My paternal grandmother died when I was about 28 years old, so a lot older (in her 80s). I don't remember ever having us make cake, but she made beautiful meat pies and pancakes.

This cake is really a delicious cake. It's easy . . . there is nothing complicated here. . .

Simply flour, sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. . . oh, and buttermilk. I didn't have buttermilk today, so I added some lemon juice to whole milk to make sour milk, and it worked beautifully.

Just beat all the ingredients together and divide the batter into a pan and fry. . .

The glaze is also very simple and uses simple ingredients. . . powdered sugar (or confectioner's sugar as it is also known or powdered sugar). . . butter, cocoa powder (no mixed drink), vanilla and more buttermilk

Spread this creamy chocolate glaze on top of the cooled cake and you are basically ready. . .

I like to put some sprinkles on top to dress it up a bit. They look really beautiful!

You can't lose with a glass of cold milk on the side. The children, big and small. . . are really going to love this!

Yield: 9

Cake from the buttermilk grandmother

preparation time: 15 minutescooking time: 35 minutestotal time: 50 minutes

Tried and true, moist and delicious, this classic home-made buttermilk cake will certainly put a smile on everyone's face.

ingredients:

  • 85 g butter, softened (6 TBS)
  • 190 g granulated sugar (1 cup)
  • 2 large free-range eggs
  • 310 g flour (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 TBS baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 120 ml buttermilk (1/2 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze
  • 60 g butter (1/4 cup)
  • 195 gr icing sugar, sieved (1 1/2 cups)
  • 30 g cocoa powder, sieved (1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 TBS buttermilk

instructions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 * C / 350 * F / gas mark 4. Butter an 8 inch square baking pan and lightly dust with flour, and drain the excess.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar together for the cake with an electric whisk until light and creamy. Beat the eggs one by one. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat this slowly in the skimmed mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with a dry addition. Stir in the vanilla. Distribute evenly in the prepared baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes. A toothpick placed in the middle must come out clean.
  3. Let the can cool completely.
  4. To make the glaze beat, cream the butter and beat the remaining ingredients smooth and spreadable. Spread over the cooled cake. Cut into squares to serve.

I really hope my stove isn't out of use for long, but maybe I need a break. I hope you bake this cake and that you and your family really enjoy it! Enjoy your meal!

Note - ingredients can be successfully doubled to make a larger cake. Bake it 35-40 minutes in a 9 by 13 inch pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot