Best Sloppy Joes Recipe - Delicious Recipes

Hot

Post Top Ad

Tuesday 9 April 2019

Best Sloppy Joes Recipe

My mom’s Sloppy Joes (or wimpies as we call them) are the BEST homemade Sloppy Joes I have ever had!

The Best Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe - It Is a Keeper

Growing up, we always called Wimpies.  In fact, it wasn’t until I went to school that I even heard the word Sloppy Joes.

But, whether you call them Wimpies or Sloppy Joes, these sandwiches are one of the things that can instantly take me back to my childhood.

My mother has always made the BEST Sloppy Joes ever!  These are no sauce-from-a-can Sloppy Joes.  They are the real McCoy.  Made with love…from scratch.

When I asked her about the recipe, she told me it was actually my grandmother’s recipe.  And, that she used to make them all the time when my mother was growing up.  So this recipe goes waaay back.

The Best Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe - It Is a Keeper

I love how easy these homemade Sloppy Joes are to make.  With a recipe this simple, there’s no reason to use canned sauce. These Sloppy Joes are ready in under 30 minutes but the longer they simmer, the better they are.

Plus, they freeze really well.  You could easily make a double batch and they would be a great freezer meal.

This is also a great crock pot Sloppy Joes recipe.  Just brown the beef, with the onions and peppers, and add it to your slow cooker with all of the other ingredients!  Then set it and forget it.  When dinner time rolls around, you’ll have delicious slow cooker Sloppy Joes!

I love to serve them with my homemade Bread and Butter Pickles.  It’s just one of those classic combinations — like peanut butter and jelly.  I can’t have one without the other.   I also like to serve my homemade Oven Fries alongside.

The Best Homemade Sloppy Joes

PRINT RECIPE PIN RECIPE
3.92 from 12 votes

The Best Sloppy Joes Ever!

Hands down this the BEST Sloppy Joes recipe (aka wimpies)!  Whether you know this iconic recipe from your school days, (the Adam Sandler Lunch lady song keeps playing in my head) or it was a staple in your home growing up, my mom's homemade recipe are the best! 
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Course: Main Dish
Cuisine: American
Keyword: ground beef, sandwich
Servings: 6
Calories: 246kcal
Author: Christina Hitchcock

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 green bell pepper - chopped
  • 1 onion - chopped
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

  • Brown beef with onions and peppers in a large skillet.
  • Drain well and return to skillet.
  • Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Serve on your favorite sandwich roll.

Notes

Versatility in my recipes are the key to keeping my family interested. So try these handy tips:
  • Spice it up: Try putting a little hot sauce and some jalapeno peppers into the wimpie for a spicy twist.
  • This Recipe Can be Doubled: This is a great recipe for a crowd. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately and you can freeze half or serve to the team, church group or family reunion.
  • Sneak in other Vegetables: If you have a hard time getting your kids to eat their veggies, try sneaking in some finely chopped vegetables to your sloppy joes. They will never know!
  • Serve Over Rice: If you are gluten free, serve over rice, rice cauliflower or even mashed potatoes to make a hearty meal.

Nutrition

Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 324mg | Potassium: 360mg | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 4.5% | Vitamin C: 22.5% | Calcium: 3.2% | Iron: 10.6%
Did You Make This Recipe?Show me on Instagram! Mention @itsakeeperblog or tag #itisakeeper! I'd love to see what you're up to in the kitchen!
Helpful Tips for All Recipes on It Is a Keeper
  • Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust! 
  • When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.  
  • I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
  • I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.  This one is my favorite.  
  • When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
  • The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate.  Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.

 

More Posts You'll Love

  • Sausage and Pepper Sloppy JoesSausage and Pepper Sloppy Joes
  • Sloppy Joe PuffsSloppy Joe Puffs
  • Sloppy Joe Grilled CheeseSloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
  • Easy Hoagie DipEasy Hoagie Dip

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot